14 February 2011

Warming Up

It finally started to dry out and warm up. In fact, we haven't had any rain or snow for several days, and my bilge is nice and dry. I'm even thinking of climbing down in the lockers and removing the transmission tomorrow -- it'll be in the 50's.

I got a call from Paul a couple days ago wanting to know how things were going and if I was still planning on returning to Baytown. He reiterated his offer to let me put the boat in his warehouse to work on it, and even offered me a job. Too bad I'm not already down there, but I guess that's how it goes.

However, if I do take him up on his offers, there's no reason to do any more work here than is absolutely necessary to get down there. That means just the transmission and chainplates -- and probably not even the one for the backstay since it's the least likely to break, especially under the light conditions I'll be sailing. I might go ahead and purchase new wire, but wait till I get there to rig it.

If that's all I have to do, I could probably get out of here by the end of March or April at the latest.

Radio watch:

I've been checking into the Intercon and Marine Maritime Service Networks every day since my first contact last week, and it's been going really well. I've also been able to connect and get email every morning -- all with the makeshift antenna I've got strung across the deck. I don't have a meter, and not sure it would make much difference if I did, however, I've been able to connect to stations up to about 950 miles with an S3 to S5 signal (goes from 0-9), which isn't bad for a 150 watt transmitter, even with a good antenna.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers