13 March 2011

Heavy Rain, Wet Clothes, and Mildew

We had a heavy rain a few days ago and took on a significant amount of water. I'm not sure if it came from the leaky toerail or the hole in the deck made by the chainplate when it broke, but in any case, all my clothes got soaked. I noticed the water on the cabin sole and cleaned that up pretty quickly, but didn't notice the clothes till yesterday. The ones on top where dry, but the ones on the bottom where soaked.

It's not too bad, but there was a bit of mildew, so I've got them spread out on deck drying. I'll probably take most of them down to the laundromat later, but might throw out some of the old t-shirts -- or use them for rags. I've got a bunch of running shirts that take up too much space and aren't good for much more than running or working on the boat, so a few less won't make much difference.

A bigger problem is the new pair of khaki's that have a few spots of mildew. I'm not terribly domestic, so I don't know if I can get the mildew out or not. Oh well, I'm not trying to impress anyone on the boat, so I guess it doesn't matter. However, I need to prepare better for the next leak, which will surely come. I guess I'll have to put everything in zip lock bags, much like we used to do in the Corps -- but that was mainly so our pack wouldn't sink if we fell in the water.

This was an extremely wet boat when I bought her, and although she's much better now, she's still pretty wet. I can't wait till I get her down to Houston and into Paul's warehouse so I can pull the toerails and permanently fix all these leaks. It'll change the look a little, but I think it's worth it. I might make a few other changes while I'm at it, but the main goal will be to make her act more like a bottle and keep all the water out. At least it's relatively warm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers