04 May 2010

Cold showers

Not sure if washing with a hose in the cockpit counts as a shower, but it sure was cold. The low last night was around 56F, so at 0630, it was probably still pretty close to that. And the water wasn't much warmer. The boat yard doesn't have a shower, so I have to make due.

Can't really complain though; it's been worse. I still vividly remember sleeping in a ditch in the rain on a cold night with just a shelter half wrapped around me. But that was the Corps, so you sorta expect that. It also reminded me of a commercial from around the time of the famous "where's the beef" ones. Some guy would present two hamburgers, one big and juicy and the other small and dry, to someone and ask the which one they preferred. They normally chose the small one for various reasons, but the one I liked was the guy wearing a green flight jacket who said he picked the small one because it reminded him of the Corps. I guess we're a little different...

Still stowing gear. Had to repaint the shelves the main clothes locker before I could use it, but was able to stow all my clothes this morning. That really made a difference. The boat's still a bit cluttered, but it's coming along nicely.

I also removed the two large portlights on the starboard side yesterday. I'm going to remount everything, most of which leaks anyway, and need to replace the plexiglass since you can't see through it anymore. Looks like I can go ahead and remount them and replace the plexiglass later, so that's what I'll try to do today. I have four portlights and six portholes that open. They all need to be removed and remounted, but the portholes also need the gaskets and screens replaced. Will try to do that this week as well. I'll be working on the deck in those areas at the same time, so hopefully most of the coachroof will be ready to paint by next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers