19 May 2010

Marvin Creamer

I've been doing a lot of reading about sailing and navigation in general and ocean voyages in particular. Since there really aren't a whole lot of people who've actually crossed an ocean in a sailboat, I don't think I've actually ever met one, or at least didn't know it at the time, so written accounts are about all I have to go by. I do know a lot of people who've crossed the Atlantic, and even did it four times myself. But that was when I was in the Corps and those trips were all on naval vessels, the Guadalcanal and the Nashville, never on a sailboat, and just as a passenger.

Anyway, I recently ran across a podcast interview with Marvin Creamer. I was searching for information concerning routes and navigation and this one caught my eye. Turns out that Creamer circumnavigated the globe via Cape of Good Hope (Cape Agulhas), Cape Leeuwin, and Cape Horn with no navigation instruments -- not sure if he also rounded the South East and South West Capes (all five make up the "great capes").

Think about it, he circumnavigated the globe in a sailboat with no navigation instruments. That's no compass, no clock, no sextant, not even a radio. Google him and read about it. It's amazing. The podcast interview is really good -- shouldn't be hard to find.

I've ordered his book. It was never published, but is available as a pdf on dvd. Can't wait to read it.

1 comment:

  1. had to read about creamer after reading your posting...what an adventure...what a cool guy!

    ReplyDelete

Followers