06 January 2011

Winlink's up and running

I got Winlink working today. The Airmail email client had a problem finding the modem over my local network, but it eventually connected, and I was able to connect and send out a message. I still need to connect my GPS and my straight key, but I'll wait until I mount everything. I just wanted to get it all setup and verify it worked.

I had to solder a 9-pin serial connector onto the modem's control cable so I could use the modem to tune the radio. My new soldering iron and solder sucker, really made it easy, much easier than my old one. I haven't gotten the cloning cable yet, but obviously the ham frequencies are open or else I wouldn't have been able to connect and send email. However, I still want to take a look at the configuration, and may tweak a few things at some point.

I guess my makeshift antenna is working okay. I've been listening to the Maritime Mobile Network for the last few days, and adjusting it a bit. It's got pretty good reception, but I haven't tried to talk to anyone yet.

Job watch:

I have a resume out on one of the technical job sites, and usually get several emails a week concerning job openings. Since I'll be around for at least a few months, I'm considering taking a short term, temporary job to help defray the costs of fixing the transmission, replacing the standing rigging, and paying for storage. It's a bit more expensive up here than it would have been in Houston, but since I'm doing it all myself and, except for the transmission, had to do it anyway, it probably won't make that much difference. I guess storage is the only thing that's really different. It's $54.00/ft for the winter, but they said they'd prorate it for me.

I also contacted a friend the other day and he's looking around for me too. We worked together at BB, but he left before me and took a job with one of the big banks. If I wanted I full time job, he could probably get me on with them. However, I'm sure I'd have to commit to a minimum of a couple years, and I'm not sure I want to do that. But New York's in really good shape, at least for banks and programmers, so I'm sure I'll find something.

My only problem is what to do about Zoe. I could leave her on the boat, but don't have a good solution for heat while I'm gone. Once I get the diesel heater running, I'll be able to get the boat nice and toasty in the morning, and although I'll turn if off when I leave, it should stay pretty warm for a long time. The commute's about an hour each way, so I'll be gone for at least 10 or 11 hours.

Hopefully, I'll get the heater installed and running by the end of next week. That way, I can test it to see how warm she stays with the heat off all day. I can also try insulation and a light bulb, but otherwise, I'll have to look for a dog sitter here on City Island.

Everyone loves her and she's good with other dogs, so it's usually not hard to find someone to watch her. I spoke to a few people on our walk this evening and they said they'd check around for me. It'll be at least a couple weeks before I could start working anyway, so I've got some time to find a solution.

Not taking a job wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would be nice to refill the coffers after a longer than expected refit. By the time I get out of here, it'll be almost a full year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers