19 May 2011

Cleaning Up

With all the rain, I've had to spend a bit more time in the cabin, so I've been trying to clean up a bit. It still looks like a workshop, but it's getting better. I ran a temporary hose from my sink drain out the port side seacock hole yesterday so I could flush my tanks. I ran a couple tank-fulls through yesterday and another one this morning, but am still getting a bit of grit out of the faucet. I think I'll do this a few more times I trust it enough to drink.

I also washed out my ice box yesterday and let it dry out most of the afternoon, mainly to let the teak shelves dry. I re-stowed a bunch of stuff in it this morning, which helped clear off the counter tops. Finally having running water again really makes a difference.

Chainplate watch:

I worked on the chainplates this afternoon, but wasn't able to finish them. However, I think I got the system down, so hopefully I can finish them tomorrow. Actually, it takes so long to do each hole, it may be next week before I'm done, but they look good and I'm making progress, so I'm not complaining.

Transmission watch:

It rained this morning and is threatening again as I type, but was pretty nice for most of the day. I was tempted to try to pull the transmission today, but decided to go with my original plan and work on plumbing and chainplates. I may crawl down and give the bolt a try this evening or tomorrow morning, but with the weather set to improve by the end of the weekend, I'll probably just wait till then before I try to seriously mess around with it (see below).

Rapture watch:

Evidently, the rapture is a go for Saturday the 21st. I wish I had a better idea of exactly what time -- which time zone does he use anyway? Since I'm not sure I'll have a choice or how much warning I'll get, I need to make sure Zoe is taken care of. I'd hate to think of her locked up inside the boat with nothing to eat or drink while I'm hanging out by the pool in paradise. But this is a boat yard, so I'm sure there will be lots of people left around to care for her. Maybe I'll just put a note on the hull: "in case of rapture, please take care of Zoe for me."

That's also another reason why I've decided to wait on the transmission -- I might not ever have to do it at all. But just in case I don't make the first cut, I sure hope the stuff I ordered gets here tomorrow. My worst fear right now is that all the UPS drivers go on the first wave and my stuff gets looted out on some deserted highway somewhere -- probably north of the Mason-Dixon line, I expect most the the south to go up right away. It might be hard to get boat parts in a the post-rapture world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers