30 May 2011

Still on the Grid

I'd hoped to cut the lines shackling me to the grid tomorrow, but it looks like I'll need to stay connected just a bit longer, so I extended it another month. The new date is 2 July.

Transmission watch:

Well, I'd like to say it's all fixed and reinstalled, but although I was able to get it out -- with some help from Doug -- I did break a few bolts and have been dealing with that for a few days. They are rusted steel bolts in an aluminum housing, so I doubt they're ever coming out -- salt water and aluminum doesn't mix well, especially if steel is involved. I'll probably have to drill them all out and use helicoils.

But on the bright side, it looks like it's just the clutch that went, so I'll press off the gears tomorrow and figure out which parts I need and get them ordered. Nothing else looks broken or worn or anything, so I think it's just the key that pins the clutch to the shaft that went. I'll replace whatever else is worn-out, but at least the gears, bearings, and spindles look good.

Weather watch:

It's only May and it's already hot as hell -- think working in a hot car in an asphalt parking lot with no shade. Can't wait to get in the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers