24 January 2012

Mounting Issues

I've still got plenty of work to do on the boat, but have mostly finished the portholes, at least for now. I hope to fix the broken bolt, and repack the stuffing box shortly, however, I'm not sure about mounting the new winch on the mast.

I made a pad put of an old piece of teak, but I'm not sure it'll work. The mast is oval, so I need to put something flat between the winch and the mast, but I'm afraid I'd have to take out so much material from the center of the teak pad that it would loose it's integrity.

Unfortunately, the old stainless steel mounting plate won't work as is -- the holes are wrong and the new ones would be too close to the old ones. In any case, I have to remove it, so I'll see if moving it'll work -- I'm not worried about the through holes in the stainless steel, just the mounting holes in the aluminum mast itself.

Zoe watch:

After making the teak pad, I was covered with sawdust, so I decided to take a quick swim to clean up. Zoe joined me, but neither of us stayed in very long. It got up to close to 80 today, so it actually felt good, but still a bit too cold for comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers