02 January 2012

Happy New Year

Happy New Year...

There's not much going on here. I tried to help Bill out with some antenna problems, but without a car or license (lived in Manhattan too long, I guess) I wasn't able to run down and get parts, so I ended up not being that much help.

We moved down to Daytona Beach a few days ago, about 40 miles, so at least we'll be able to load up on supplies and fuel before we leave. It's going to be pretty cold for the next couple of days, but after that it should warm back up nicely.

We'll head down to Titusville, then hopefully out the Port Canaveral inlet. I've decided to go down to the keys via Miami. It'll take a few days, but we should be able to make short day hops on the outside most of the way. We just need to stay inside the Gulf Stream.

Reading watch:

I've been spending a lot of time reading lately, mostly on the kindle. However, I've also been studying the Bowditch. It's a little dry, but I'm trying to get more proficient in navigation, particularly celestial, and weather. I normally mix it up with other books on the kindle.

Right now, those include Robinson Crusoe (which is sometimes dryer than Bowditch) and Bligh's account of the mutiny and subsequent voyage across the pacific in an open boat. I read the trilogy many years ago, but this is the first time I've read Bligh's account. It's pretty good.

Zoe watch:

Zoe enjoyed visiting Bill's house. In addition to a couple of car rides, she got to hang out with his cats -- she didn't even chase them.

1 comment:

  1. I tried to email something - it was returned.Text me your new email address. Hope it warms up again real soon. Sounds like your new year is off to a good start. Love you. kg

    ReplyDelete

Followers