13 February 2012

Steve, VA7SKM/MM, checked in again tonight from the Beagle Channel on his way to Punta Arenas. I mentioned in a previous entry that this was my longest contact, 5,700 miles, but since then I've had a contact with Paul, VK2HMV, near Sidney, Australia, 9,360 miles away. Although I probably won't be able to beat that one anytime soon, it must be noted that the one with Steve was boat to boat. I think Paul has a beam antenna and runs power -- something neither Steve nor I do.

I also heard Jan, KC2IOV, tonight. She left South Africa last week on her way to Hobart, but couldn't quite copy her, so I let another station work her. She's a few hundred miles south-east of the Cape of Good Hope, around 8,000 miles away.

I think I've written about her before, but if not, please take a look at her web site:

http://www.svnereida.com/

She's been attempting a solo, non-stop, circumnavigation for the last few years, and while she's completed at least one, she's had to stop and restart several times. That's mostly due to gear failures and a capsize last year. Her blog makes interesting reading. She even met the queen -- she's a brit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers