20 February 2012

Time to Reorganize the Cabin

We stayed here in Titusville a little longer than originally planned, mainly so I could go to Hamcation which I missed due to weather, but now it's time to start moving again. Most of the repairs I wanted to do have been completed, however, I'm now having trouble with the alternator, and the broken mounting bolt worked its way out again.

I'm not sure what's going on with the alternator, but it doesn't seem to put out as much voltage as before. This could be a loose belt, or something worse, but I plan to break out the manual and call the manufacturer before I get too concerned. I might just need to work on the mounting brackets again so I can tighten the belt. Unfortunately, it isn't easy to get to all my tools, which is why I want to reorganize the cabin first. That's also been one of the problems with fixing the broken bolt.

I got a good start the over the last few days and reorganized much of the forecastle. At least I can find stuff now, but I still need to organize all my fasteners and put them in the plastic jars I've saved -- peanut butter has really come in handy. However, the biggest problem I've had is getting to my tools. I foolishly buried a lot of them in the lockers under the port side cushions behind the table. With limited space, I end up stacking lots of big stuff -- dog food, guitar case, etc. -- on top of those cushions, so I have to move everything to get to them. And that includes the cushions themselves.

So, I've decided to put all the paint and other stuff that I hardly ever need under there, and move the tools over to the starboard side. Hopefully, once that's done, it'll be a little easier to tackle the rest of the maintenance problems.

We had a lot of wind yesterday, gusts up to 35 knots, so I didn't do much more that read and follow the Knicks game. I'm not really a basketball fan, but Lin's story is a really good one, and I'm glad he's doing well. I also enjoyed Jon Stewart's video, but didn't think the SNL bit was very funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers