20 March 2012

The Great Northern Migration

The Great Northern Migration has begun once again. Over the last few months I've noticed fewer and fewer boats heading south, while more and more have started heading north. For a while, the numbers were roughly equal, but it seems like the flood gates opened up last week.

I'm not really keeping track, but I've seen at least a dozen just this morning. They almost look as if they're in formation, one after another. Since I'm headed south, I kinda like it -- fewer boats where we're going.

The charts should arrive to today, so I'll start south in the morning. Depending on the conditions, I'll either anchor in the Banana River this side of the locks, or continue out Port Canaveral tomorrow afternoon. I should be able to post a few more updates, but don't be concerned if I don't -- cell service only extends so far offshore.

However, I will be posting positions via winlink/shiptrak. The trip to Clear Lake is around 1,200nm, so I figure it'll take around 2 weeks. I may or may not make a few stops along the way, e.g., the keys or possibly Mobile, but prefer to go non-stop. I'm still testing out gear and getting to know the boat, so I expect to have a few issues and wouldn't be surprised if I had to stop a few times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers