19 April 2012

Missing Laundry

We're anchored and have plenty of fresh water, so I decided to do a bit of laundry yesterday. I'm using several plastic gallon buckets, so I can't do much at one time, but I was able to wash several shirts and both my pairs of khaki painter's paints.

By the time I'd finished washing, and bleaching the trousers -- they were filthy from anchoring -- the wind was gusting to over 15 knots. I don't have any clothes pins, so I tried to weave the arms through the netting to keep everything from blowing away.

That worked fine for the shirts, but I figured the trousers were heavy enough to take care of themselves and just hung them over the lifelines -- bad idea. As it started to get dark, I went on deck to check and found one pair missing. Luckily there wasn't any current, so they were floating, as if someone was wearing them, about 20' astern.

I dove in and rescued them, then spent a few minutes rinsing the salt out. The sun was going down, and the wind got pretty cold soaking wet out in the cockpit. I ended up using a line to tie them up and brought everything else inside to finish drying overnight. After all the excitement, I slept pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers