16 April 2012

Weather Delay

Due to high winds and waves forecast for Saturday and Sunday in the western Gulf, I've decided to delay our departure until it passes through. The upside will allow us to wait for the full moon on 6 May. I've also got a friend who might make the trip but wasn't available until after the 21st. Now, maybe he'll be able to make the trip.

While we're waiting, I plan to do some sailing around here and test out my whisker pole, cunningham, and boom vang, all if which I've recently setup. I also marked my king post on the wheel, and 3 degrees on each side -- 3 degrees is the proper amount of weather helm for a balanced helm. My hope is that these will improve our sailing efficiency and increase our speed.

I've actually been pretty busy lately. Here's what I've done since we got here last week:

- painted on non-skid on the decks (twice -- used salt shaker technique the second time, and they look great)
- setup boom vang and attached it to my stanchion base just forward of the companionway
- setup cunningham on mainsail
- added second mainsail reefing line (actually for first reef point)
- setup jacklines from cockpit to bow on both side decks
- setup whisker pole blocks
- re-tensioned the alternator belt
- checked all seacocks -- opened and closed
- checked fuel filter
- checked rudder, marked king post with tape, and determined the 3 degree location on each side
- added rat lines over the side on each quarter (running from the stanchion base forward of the companionway to the stern) to make it easy to climb back on board
- cleaned the bottom
- reinforced the rudder stops under cockpit (keeps the rudder from turning too far and getting damaged -- port stop was worn down and no longer effective)
- fixed rudder post collar
- tightened rudder post stuffing box
- tightened steering cables
- adjusted wind vane control lines
- moved dinghy from foredeck to cockpit locker
- re-caulked chainplates

Wow, I got tired just typing that.

Zoe watch:

She's doing great, and really likes sleeping up in the bow when we're at anchor. Now that we've got a little extra time, and I've got all my jobs taken care of, I'm going to take her swimming tomorrow -- she's not getting fat or anything, but I'm sure she can use the exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers