20 July 2010

Near record summer

What's up with the heat waves? This summer has been awful. It seems like we've had record or near record temperatures for weeks now with no relief in site. The average temperature for July in Huntington is historically around 81, but this year it's 88, with six days over 90, and one over 100 already. Looks like I picked a really bad time to move onto a boat.

Actually, maybe it's a good time, or perhaps just in time would be a better way to put it. At least I hope it's just in time. Global climate change will affect everything, but might make sea travel especially challenging. That's one of the reasons I didn't want to wait too long; health is another.

I haven't felt well for almost a year now. Not sure if living in Manhattan or working in a really crowded office had anything to do with it, but I have felt much better since moving out to Long Island and onto the boat. I suppose it could have been allergies -- being packed really close to people wearing heavy perfumes that gave me headaches certainly didn't help.

It's tough, even when doing something you love, when you feel lousy all the time. I still get a sore neck occasionally, and still have a little discomfort in my left ear, but the headaches and nausea are gone. In fact, I started feeling better almost right away and by the time I moved onto the boat, about a month later, felt almost normal.

I'm pretty sure it was some sort of chemical allergy at work. They had an on site nurse, but she was adamant that it couldn't be anything in the building. But what do you expect, she works for the company. At least I didn't work for the Big Branch Mine. I'm sure it wasn't anything intentional, but everyone seems more concerned with not getting sued than actually solving problems.

Sailing can be very physically demanding, as can working on boats. Come to think of it, maybe that's the same thing. Anyway, I needed a break and I didn't want to wait too long and run out of time.

Zoe watch:

I'm going to give her a bath this afternoon once it gets too hot to work -- she's getting a bit gamey. Although I think she prefers it that way, and seems really pleased with herself after rolling in the grass, I think it's time. She's been scratching a little, and her coat is starting to look a little dingy too. I haven't decided if I'll shave her again, but we'll start with the bath and see how that goes first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers