27 June 2011

Cutlass Bearing

I finally got everything pressed onto the output shaft late last night, and finished reassembling the entire transmission this morning. It seemed to work fine, so I went ahead and painted it and will reinstall it tomorrow.

However, I never did find anything wrong with it other than a lot of rust and leaking seals. I replaced all the seals and rusted and broken bolts, so all in all pulling it didn't bother me too much -- it looks great now.

While I was cleaning up the shaft this afternoon, I noticed I couldn't see the cutlass bearing. It had gravitated a couple inches into the tube. I didn't notice it last winter, but it obviously happened during the trip, and is quite likely what caused the problem in the first place.

Boston and Ken had both suggested the cutlass bearing, as well as a few other related issues, but I think that was only after I'd pulled the transmission and couldn't find any damage. I'll replace it tomorrow when I install the transmission, but won't really know if that fixes it until I get her into the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers