14 September 2011

Installing Radios

I set my VHF radio and AIS transponder back up yesterday. At first, I had a problem getting the AIS unit to update the radio, but once I re-crimped the barrel connectors, it all worked fine.

After getting it all working, I tried to see if I was getting picked up on the marine traffic site, but couldn't find any targets in Oyster Bay. However, I don't think that has anything to do with my setup, because I can pickup several other targets here in the bay, including a 60+' ketch. Her antenna is at least 90' over the water, so if they can't see her, they won't see me either -- mine's only 45'.

I decided to keep all the radios together on the starboard side shelf that sits about a foot directly under the side deck. I still have a few leaks along that toerail, but they aren't too bad. Since the radios are mounted a little above the shelf, they won't be sitting in water even if there is a leak. I use small plastic bags to catch the drips, but there's never much water, even during big rain storms, so I guess that'll have to do for now.

Provisioning watch:

I'm pretty much out of everything now, except rice and coffee, so I'm going to take a small trip over to Huntington and go shopping. There's a West Marine right there, so I'll go there too. Not sure if I'll try to do laundry this time, but will definitely do that before I leave the area.

Kieran offered to take me down to a Costco, or something like that, so I'll wait to do any serious shopping till then -- it's about a quarter mile from the town dock to the store, so I wouldn't be able to carry much on this trip anyway. I just need to get enough to hold me over for the next few weeks.

Zoe watch:

It's staring to cool off a bit, so even though Zoe still goes swimming almost every day, I don't always go in with her. I need to buy a wet suit -- maybe Kieran can help with that too -- though it's not quite cold enough for one yet. However, it would still be helpful for cleaning the bottom.

I normally go around and check stuff while she swims, so the other day, I decided to clean the top couple feet of the bottom with just my bare hand. It worked fine, but without a suit, I ended up with lots of little critters clinging to me -- quite uncomfortable. Not sure what they were, but I sure won't be doing that again. However I do need to clean the prop and through-hulls before I leave. Hopefully that won't stir up too much stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers