30 September 2011

iPhone Trouble

My iPhone died a few days ago, but mysteriously came back to life this morning. I used a phone patch provided by Fred, W3ZU, in Florida to let my sister Karen know I was fine, but would be incommunicado for a while. Fortunately, her's was one of the few numbers I had written down -- all the rest where lost with the phone.

Anyway, she came back this morning, the phone, not my sister, so I'm charging her now and catching up. Once she's fully charged, I'll transfer everything to my logbook just in case.

Boat watch:

Fueled up yesterday, and plan to head over to Huntington to pick up some provisions today. I might anchor over there too, but will wait till I'm there before I decide. I did have one problem when I tried to pull away from the fuel dock yesterday. The set screw on my throttle control sheered off, so I had to stop, tie up again, and fix it. Luckily, I happened at the dock. I ended up drilling it out and putting a bolt all the way through. It's a little loose, but I'll find a larger bolt and snug it up when I get a chance.

Radio watch:

I replace all my coax, except for what's in the mast -- that'll have to wait till I get to Houston. I still haven't hooked up the tuner permanently, but the testing I've done so far was satisfactory. Not good by any stretch, but usable. I'm really only interested in 40-meters at this point, but even the dipole I've been playing with hasn't performed well. I guess the success I've had with the 20-meter one has spoiled me a bit.

Zoe watch:

While I was at the fuel dock, I took her for a walk. She had a great time, and made full use of the opportunity. She's also gotten very good about staying on the boat, so I didn't even need to tether her. Several people came over to talk to her, and although she listened attentively, she never said a word.

We were there for a little over an hour, and got back just in time to anchor before the the thunderstorms started rolling in. It got really dark and reminded me a lot of Seattle -- all dark, low, and purple. I enjoyed it, but Zoe didn't like it one bit -- then again, she's never been to Seattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers