01 June 2010

First day off

Took off most of Memorial Day and ended up going for a run just after noon. It was a hot sunny day and I just couldn't resist. The run felt great. I went about 4 miles at an 8:38 pace, and even ran the last 2 miles without my shirt. But a few hours later my heels started hurting and this morning my left one was really sore. I stretched it out this morning and it feels fine now, but I'll have to be really careful and keep my calves stretched. Not sure I'll ever be able to run pain-free again, but I can deal with a little pain, so I plan to run again in a few days and see how it goes.

I did do a little glass work yesterday afternoon. I added a couple of layers of fiberglass to the top of the winch bases and filled in the old holes, actually all the holes, with resin. I gave them a coat of filler for fairing this morning, but I mixed a large amount and some of it gelled in the cup before I could use it. I hate wasting it since it's so expensive -- resin, hardener, and filler runs at about $125 a gallon once you mix it up.

I've got the cockpit almost ready to paint now. Just need to finish faring everything and clean it all up. I had to button up the cover this afternoon due to the rain, and can't do any more glass work due to the humidity but should be able to use this time to get all the cleaning and sanding done. I've got a few other tasks I can work on too, but will need a couple of nice days to finish the cockpit. Once it's done, I can move all the gear off the coach roof and start working on that part. It only needs a little cleaning, filling, and sanding before I can paint it as well. I do need to remove the last 2 hand rails and some deck hardware, but might be able to do that this afternoon while I'm waiting out the rain.

I'm using a 2-part epoxy primer, but have just a 1-part polyurethane for the top coat. I only have 3 quarts, but none of them are white, so I may not use them. I was planning on using a light gray for the non-skid areas, but am now thinking that white all over would be better. I also need to figure out if I can use the primer as the finish coat or need to use something like the polyurethane -- for UV protection? At some point, I'm going to do the aft pulpit and the toe rails, so I don't want to have to deal with removing a lot of paint in order to fix and fair the fiberglass. If I use the polyurethane, will I need to remove it before I can do any glass work? I haven't been able to find a good answer yet.

I've also decided to put a bead of resin along the edge of the toe rail in order to help seal it and turn away the water. I'm going to try to clean under it and force the resin underneath and leave a little lip. Resin won't stick real well to teak, but it's better than nothing and should hold better and longer than regular caulk. I'll probably caulk it as well, but that'll be later. I used 5200 a couple of years ago, but it broke down, probably due to UV.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers