28 June 2010

Still hot

The forecast is for around 89 today, just 2 degrees below the record high, and a full 10 degrees higher than average. We'll also have thunder storms this afternoon, but hopefully that will cool things off a bit. I'm going to work on the freshwater system today and try to flush and clean the tanks. I walked down to the local hardware store a little while ago to pick up the fitting I need to reconnect the upper and lower tanks and was soaking wet by the time I got back to the boat -- it's only about a quarter mile from here.

Got up early and walked Zoe into town so I could drop by the bank and hit the ATM. There's a branch that's about a mile from here, so we had a good walk, and ended up stopping at a little cafe and had breakfast out on the sidewalk in the shade. We really enjoyed it even though it was already getting hot. I've got her under the bow this morning so I can flush the tanks without getting her splashed -- the drains are aft under the cockpit where she normally hangs out.

Zoe watch:

As I said, she's handing out under the bow this morning. She gets excited when she gets to do something new, so she's happy. I shaved her last night, so she's also a lot cooler. I'll head to the store to see if I can get a pool for her once it gets hot.

Weather watch:

Just heard that a heat advisory will go into effect in about an hour, and the waitress at the cafe told me that the heat index was supposed to be 106 today. Probably won't get too much done today.

Ham license watch:

Decided not to go into Manhattan to take the test today due to the heat, but will try to take the one in Hicksville on 10 July at 9am. Just hope it cools off by then, but since it's early in the morning, I should be able to get back before it warms up too much. There's another one a few days later in Bethpage, so I might try that one if I can't make the one in Hicksville. If I miss both of these, the next one here in Huntington won't be until mid August.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers