03 June 2010

Too Hot

I got a little too hot yesterday working in the cockpit under the cover. It was open at both the stern and bow, but was still close to 100 -- it's about 95 right now. I got a little dizzy toward the end of the day, and didn't sleep well, so I'm taking it a little easier today and plan to work on jobs in the cabin today and only work on the deck in the morning or evening when it's cooler. However, due to fog this morning and thunder storms predicted for this afternoon, I may not be able to work on it today. In addition to the 4 places that need another coat of fairing plus a few holes and nicks that still need filling, I'm going to add a lip of resin to the edge of the deck up against the teak toe rail, so I'm probably looking at at least another full day of glass work before I can paint.

I spent most of today working on plumbing. I finally removed the lectro-san from the head. To get it out, I had to remove the sink and toilet. Now that everything's out, I'm going to try to find a holding tank that will fit in the locker below the counter top along the hull. It's not a big space, and due to the curvature of the hull, it's not regular shape either. That's why I'm online; I need to search for one. A holding tank will make me legal. Otherwise, I could get into trouble for having a functioning head with no holding tank, since most places near shore are officially "no discharge" areas. I'll add a y-value (that I'll need to lock in place) so I can switch to direct discharge when out at sea and holding tank when close to shore.

I'm also going to order the oven version of the stove I bought a few weeks ago. It's sorta expensive, but I think it'll workout okay. I really like the way the stove works, but am a bit concerned about it not sealing when not in use. You have to open it and insert a rubber cover/seal, and if you forget to remove it and try to light it, you'll burn it. I guess the only real problem is if you were to capsize without the cover in place, you'd leak fuel all over the place. You'd also have a fire if it was lit at the time, but since it burns alcohol that's extinguished with water, it may not be that big a deal, e.g., if we capsize, there will be plenty of water in the cabin to put out the fire.

Please note, that I have no intention on capsizing. For one thing, I plan to deploy my Jordan drogue if I run into that sort or weather. I also have a boat that heaves to pretty well. Also, the stove is fully gimballed so it should be relatively safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers