27 August 2010

Stellarium

If I ever want to do any serious ocean sailing, I'll need to hone my celestial navigation skills. To that end, I'm downloading some open source planetarium software named Stellarium. Hopefully, I'll be able to use it to learn how to identify stars and constellations. I know a few, but not very well.

Poison ivy watch:

I've still got a pretty active case, and for some reason it itches more at night, which means I'm not sleeping well. I'm still hoping it will all go away soon, but even this morning, I see some new patches on one finger.

Zoe watch:

The weather has been really cool for the last couple of days, but is forecast to warm up again over the weekend. I opened up the cover this morning to allow more air flow by tying the lower edges to concrete blocks set out about 15 feet one each side of the boat -- similar to what I had at the old location. I'd hoped I wouldn't need to do that, but the cover holds so much heat that it gets pretty hot when the sun shines even when the temperature remains cool. It looks sorta like a fly tent and gives Zoe a much larger shady area as well.

Boat watch:

I've been getting a bit more done, but the poison ivy has really put a dent in it. As long as I can finish by late September, I'll be fine. I figure I really only have a couple weeks of work left, and could finish in less than a week if it were in doors, so we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers