22 October 2011

Frost Warning and Other Weather Issues

I got a signal report from Harry last night after I repaired my antenna. I had been checking and re-tuning the rig so I could pin the turnbuckles, so I dropped the boom down to the deck in order to take tension off the mast, but forgot to loosen lower line on the antenna. In doing so, I broke the thin speaker wire I'm using for my dipole. I pulled it down and re-soldered it once I'd finished the rig, but wanted to make sure I was still getting out.

Harry told me I was coming in fine, pretty much like normal, then asked me if we were still in the same place. I told him yes, but we'd be leaving in the morning -- I'm up early waiting for it to get light right now. Then he mentioned that we'd been here a long time, and I told him we'd been waiting on the weather. Harry served on board an aircraft carrier, and although they can, and do, go out in any weather, it's a little different for a small sailboat, especially this time if year. In fact, for us, pretty much everything, including destination, is dependent on the weather.

Right now, we're trying to balance two things (three things if you count repairs). First of all, with hurricane season active through the end of November, we don't want to go too soon. However, as it gets colder, the weather windows get shorter and less often. We missed a short window at the beginning of the week, but hope to take full advantage of this one.

Len, one of the two Canadians anchored nearby, came by just before dark last night, and told me they were only going as far as Atlantic City today, and on to Cape May tomorrow, i.e., no overnighters. He also invited me to go along with them. This is Len's first trip, but John, the other skipper, has done it many times.

We'll see how it goes, but unless I just can't keep up, I'll probably go along with them at least as far as Chesapeake City, which we should make by Monday or Tuesday. That'll put us a few days from Norfolk, but we'd have to wait there for the next window anyway, so why not do it in the Chesapeake.

Oh, and speaking of weather, there was a frost warning on the weather report this morning for Sunday night. I think it was for northern New Jersey, so it shouldn't affect us here or in Cape May, but it's definitely time to get out of here -- my decks are down right dangerous when covered with frost.

It's getting light, so time for that second cup of coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers