20 October 2011

Windy Day

It's about 0200 local time, and I'm still up waiting for the wind to shift so I can adjust my anchor rode. We had a lot of wind yesterday, and several boats got into trouble, including mine.

I had out 100' of chain, which would normally have been sufficient, but with 25-30 knot winds, gusting to almost 40, and breaking waves up to around 5-6', it wasn't enough. In fact, I started to slowly drag long before it got really bad.

These winds weren't as high as the ones we got with Irene, but the waves were nearly as bad and lasted a lot longer. Several boats dragged, and one called the Coast Guard for assistance. He was by himself too, but had a bigger, newer, nicer boat, and everything, including his engine seemed to be working okay, so he was eventually able to re-anchor. He had to run his engine for a few hours just to hold his position.

As for us, we were being blown slowly past a winter stick -- they pull the mooring balls in the winter and replace them with sticks that can't get ripped off by the ice -- and decided to let out more chain, both to stop the dragging, and get away from the stick. I didn't want to hole the boat. Unfortunately, there was already a lot of tension on the chain, so I had a bit of a problem -- I actually almost lost it, but after over 100' of 5/16" galvanized chain ran through my bare hands, the thin line I had tied to the bitter end held it long enough for me to pull in about 10' and secure it -- that left about 190' out. Hopefully, there won't be another time, but I've had all day to nurse my bruised hands and think of a better way to do it. So if there is another time, I won't make the same mistakes.

After a while, I could see we weren't dragging any more, but it sure was a rough ride. I should have known better and moved back over to Horseshoe Cove, but didn't realize how bad it got here when the wind blew in from the east.

The wind's starting to shift to the south, but the high hills are shielding us, and it's nice and smooth now. I just need to make sure we don't bump onto that winter stick or the channel marker as we swing back to the east. I've already pulled in about 25', but may need to pull in more. The winds will shift to the south-west today, so I'm worried the extra rode will put us on top of the channel marker.

I'd just re-anchor now, but my ignition switch broke off this afternoon, so I can't use the engine till I replace or hot wire it. It shouldn't be hard to fix, but I don't feel like doing it in the dark.

Well, time to go back on deck. I think I can hear the winter stick bumping up against the hull -- it's almost 0300 now and the tide's going out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers