21 October 2011

Leaving Tomorrow

I've been watching the weather, and it looks like the window down to Norfolk should last through Tuesday afternoon. At four knots or better, that should be plenty of time, but since I don't really know what sort of speed I can maintain, and I don't want to get caught out in the system that should arrive around Wednesday, I've decided to go through the C&D Canal and down the Chesapeake.

There are two Canadian boats anchored nearby, one of which is skippered by a very experienced sailor named John, and that's what they plan to do as well. Although, in their case, I think it has more to do with enjoying a leisurely trip than it does with the weather. Like me, they're both singlehanders.

It'll take a few more days to get to Norfolk, but hopefully we'll arrive about the time the next weather window starts to open up.

Gear watch:

I'm going to try to superglue my starter switch, and if that doesn't work, I'll use some 5200 -- might use the 5200 anyway. (5200 is a permanent adhesive caulk used extensively on boats) I'm just waiting for the wind to lay down a bit before tackling it and making final preparations for tomorrow. I thought about buying a new one, but it's just the plastic mounting threads that broke, the switch itself is fine.

I was planning to send my Gill offshore jacket in today, but don't really have time. It's only a few years old, most of which was spent in the closet of my Manhattan apartment, but one of the wrist closures has separated, and it's leaking badly around the neck. I've always noticed there was a problem with the way the neck was sewn on, but never gave it much thought. However, I think it gets pinched and rubs -- all the lining has worn off on the inside.

I spoke to one of the warranty reps at Gill yesterday. She was very nice, and suggested I send it in. I may try while we're in the Chesapeake, otherwise, it'll have to wait till we get to Houston. In the meantime, I can still use it in dry, windy weather (best jacket I've ever owned), but will have to use my North Face jacket when it rains. (I've actually got a really good offshore jacket I bought in France over 10 years ago that's still waterproof, so I might try it too, but it doesn't breath well)

I'm sure I'll find some combination that works. I got soaked during the gale on Wednesday, and there's nothing worse than being wet and cold on a boat without a heater. So anything's better than that.

Zoe watch:

She's hanging out on deck in her life jacket, tethered to one of the lifelines. I want her to get used to it so there won't be any issues tomorrow. It doesn't seem to bother her at all, and she might even like it with the winds we're getting today.

It's gusting to about 25knt's, but mostly pretty calm at around 10-15. Since it's from the west, the breakwater's keeping the waves down. However, we are hunting a bit. Unfortunately we lost the other bucket I was using as a sea anchor during the gale. It really helped, but can't be used in rough weather.

I saw it float by while we were taking some of the larger waves. They were about 5-6' with a period of 2 seconds, which ripped the handle right off -- sorta reminded me of the bull at Gilley's. Maybe I can get a real sea anchor while we're in the Chesapeake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers