13 October 2011

Waiting for Fog to Lift

We need to move to a better anchorage behind the breakwater at Atlantic Highlands today, but have to wait for the fog to lift. We'll sit there until the weather breaks, probably Sunday or Monday. Since I'm just hanging out, I figured this was a good opportunity to catch up on the Zoe watch.

Zoe watch:

When we pulled into Huntington last week and tied up to the public dock, Zoe got to go ashore -- in every sense of the word. We picked up a mooring that night and stayed a couple more days, but after her time ashore, she held out for another visit.

At about noon on Sunday, I motored over to the dock at Gold Beach to dump my trash and top off my water tanks. As we approached, I shutdown the engine, threw the stern line to a guy on the dock, then jumped off with the bow line.

However, as soon as my back was turned, Zoe jumped off and ran down the dock toward shore at full speed. It took less than minute to secure the boat and follow her, but she'd already disappeared and was taking care of business.

It was a beautiful day, so there were lots of people around who helped point her out. I picked up after her as I followed, so she got another head start on me, but when she stopped for a second time, I caught up. There were other dogs around, so she got to socialize a bit on the way back to the boat.

Once we got back, she curled up on the deck in the sun and went to sleep while I rinsed the deck and filled my tanks. After that was done, I collected all my trash, mainly cardboard containers from the shopping the day before, and stepped onto the dock. Someone asked me about my wind vane, so I quickly explained it to him, then headed up the dock towards the dumpster.

About that time, I heard a splash, and someone yelled there was a dog in the water. Zoe had heard me talking and didn't want to be left out, so she jumped ship, but didn't quite make it. There were several people around, and they were all concerned and excited, but Zoe's such a good swimmer, she just swam over to me and I pulled her out. I'm glad it was such a warm day, because after that, we were both soaked.

I put her back on board, found her leash, and took her with me to the dumpster. After all the excitement and exercise, she slept all the way back to Oyster Bay.

So that's two escapes and one dog overboard (DOB) in one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers