29 September 2010

Bilge Pump

I finally reinstalled my bilge pump yesterday. It was originally installed on the starboard side of the cabinet below the companionway, but I didn't like it there. There's not much space on that side and that's where the fuel filter and overflow water reservoir are located, so it's already pretty busy. Also, it connects to the port side drain, so the hose had to cross over the engine, which really cluttered up the space. This is another case of non-standard equipment added by the previous owners that ended up with wires and hoses going all over the place -- it looked like a bird's nest when I bought it -- which makes it really hard to do anything.

Anyway, I decided to mount it on the port side next to my fresh water pump. I put the pumps next to each other facing opposite directions to keep the hoses from interfering with each other. I had to move the fresh water pump a little to make room, but it looks pretty good now, and both are easily accessible if need be. I still need to wire up the new pump, but I did test it to make sure it worked. I have a lot of rewiring to do, so I'll wait and do it all at once when I'm done with the deck.

It looks like we might have a nice day today. If the humidity drops below around 65%, I can paint. I still need to sand the deck, but hope that won't take too long. After I get the first coat on, I can start remounting hardware. We are supposed to get rain most of the week, so I'm planning on cutting the mast on the next rainy day -- perhaps this afternoon if I can't paint.

Zoe watch:

She stayed under the boat for most of yesterday while I was working on the pumps, but I brought her on board around 5pm during the tornado watch. We got a little rain and some strong wind, but nothing too dramatic. As soon as I finish my coffee, we'll go for our morning walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers