20 September 2010

Tipping

Just finished rolling the second coat of primer on the forward 3/4's of the deck. Although I followed the instructions pretty closely this time, I found I wasn't a very good tipper -- perhaps I didn't add enough thinner. I started off tipping with a 3" boar's hair brush, but found it wasn't working well at all, so I quickly switched to a section of foam roller and that worked a lot better, but it still didn't flatten out as well as I'd expected.

I think the trick is to add the right amount of thinner, however, I initially thought I'd added too much, but now think it needed a bit more. I'll test it next time on a piece of scrap, and keep thinning until I get it right.

I'm also completely exhausted from climbing over the deck like a monkey all morning. I had to clean it first, then prime, so I climbed on all fours back and forth about a dozen times today. I can't wait till I get the cover off and can walk back an forth instead of crawl.

Zoe watch:

It's nice and cool, so she's hanging out under the boat. They were mowing next door this morning, so we avoided them and took a shorter walk -- I was in a hurry to get started so I could make sure I could finish painting today -- but I walked her around the yard several times this morning when I took breaks, including just before and after painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers