12 September 2010

Rainy Day

It's cool and overcast with a little rain today. The humidity just dropped below 50%, so I'm going to clean the deck, mix up some more primer, and try to finish the first coat up to the companionway.

I had planned to use a single part polyurethane over the epoxy primer on the deck, but after talking to one of the professional painters here in the yard, I'm leaning toward using a 2 part polyurethane. It's a lot more expensive, just over twice as much, but the results are much better. I've been looking online today, but haven't placed an order yet. The problem with the single part is that you can't paint over it with a 2 part later, because it will make the single part peel. So, if I ever need to do any more work, I'll have to strip it off, but if I use the 2 part, I just need to sand it smooth. In either case, I still need to order more primer and a flattening agent for whichever I end up using -- need to cut down on glare.

Zoe watch:

We took a long walk this morning and I left her under the boat afterward, but once it started to rain, I brought her on board. She's sleeping on my bunk right now, but sneaked up on deck as soon as I went down to get the hose to refill my water tanks. Normally, that would be fine, but since I'm trying to keep it clean so I can finish the painting, I need to keep her off it right now. So now I have to replace the companionway boards so she can't get out of the cabin whenever I go on deck or climb down, or she'll follow me on deck and then go forward to look for bunnies in the yard -- she just can't help herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers