06 December 2011

Another Night in Myrtle Beach

I had some problems with the engine this morning, so I decided to stay another day and work on it. She started and ran okay if I gave her enough throttle, but would run rough and die if I cut it back all the way, which meant there was probably air in the lines.

I had trouble bleeding them, but another sailor came by and gave me a hand, running the starter while I bled each injectors. That helped, but I ended up bleeding them multiple times before she started running smoothly again.

I also had to re-tighten and wire the adjustment nuts on forward port side engine mount that had come loose again, fix a small fuel leak from bleeding the lines the day before after I changed the fuel filter -- most likely the cause of my engine failure this morning, -- and finally fixed the transmission fluid leak.

It looks like the hard to get to drain plug was leaking. I tightened it, and will keep an eye on it for the next few days to see if that fixed it. I'd thought it was leaking around the seal, but the seal was dry, so I think the drain plug must have just vibrated loose.

The weather outside isn't expected to improve anytime soon, so I plan to continue down the ICW for a few more days. It's already significantly warmer here than it was up north, so there's no longer any pressure to get south quickly. I'll probably find a good place to hang out for a while and wait for the next window, perhaps Beaufort or Savannah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers