18 December 2011

St Augustine

Although I'd planned to go outside down to St Augustine today, I decided to stay inside after looking at the latest weather reports and the current state of the inlet. The inlet is badly shoaled and several of the cruising sites recommend avoiding it, especially in bad weather.

The weather really isn't that bad today, but there is a warning for small craft to exercise caution, with winds up to 20 knots from the north. That isn't that bad in and of itself, but it does make the bad side of the inlet a lee shore, i.e., the wind will blow you into it.

So, I decided to play it safe and stay inside. On top of that, I was in a small crowded anchorage last night and didn't get much sleep, so I figured I'd make it a short day today.

I stopped early because I didn't feel like making it another long day. It's a little bumpy right now since the current has me beam to the wind. I may try a riding sail to see if that helps. I thought of moving, but the winds should die down soon, so we'll wait it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers