14 December 2011

Working on the Boat

We anchored in Tom Point Creek at sundown last night, and it's such a nice place, I've decided to stay here a day or so and get the boat ready for the next trip outside. Other than a little current, and not much wind protection, it's a very well protected spot, perfect for going up the mast, one of the jobs I need to do.

I'd planned to do some of this in Charleston, but with marginal weather and a poorly protected marina, I didn't get much done. So, my goal was to continue down to Beaufort and do it all there. However, I doubt I could find a better anchorage, so I'm just going to stay here and get as much done as possible.

I need to go up the mast, remove the old topping lift line -- didn't have a marlin spike with me and couldn't get the knot untied when I switched to a block and halyard a while back -- and tie off my long wire antenna. I'd tried to use the uninsulated backstay, but it never worked very well, so I hoisted up the wire I setup inside a rope a few years ago.

It works great, but interferes with the topping lift, so I need to move the attachment point higher to clear it. For now, I plan to just tie it off above the backstay connector. I'll come up with something more permanent later. The other end is tied to the stern pulpit.

Other jobs include reinstalling stern chocks, moving and hooking up the shore power plug, and fixing the wind vane. The wind vane is the most important, and really the only thing needed to go outside. It bent about 15 degrees at the weld connecting the rod to the all-thread adjustment at the top.

I'm going to wait till it warms up, then heat it with a torch before trying to straighten it. I hope it doesn't break. If it does, I'll head over to Beaufort to get it welded. I think my mistake was not removing the steering blade when I tacked in high winds.

I'll straighten up the cabin and re-stow some gear too, but the rush to get south is over now. I'm tired of rushing and can't wait to get out of the ICW. I had several close calls again yesterday where we got into shallow water and had trouble finding the channel -- I don't need the stress.

Zoe watch:

She really enjoyed Charleston. Hopefully, we'll get a chance to visit again when the weather's better. She's sleeping on the solar panel right now -- guess it's warmer.

The sun's up, but it's still a little cool, so I plan to read a while and do some work below this morning, then go up the mast in the afternoon. I haven't checked with her, but I think Zoe's plan is to sleep on deck all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers