11 December 2011

Charleston

We made it to Charleston a little after noon on Friday and tied up at the Charleston Maritime Center. It got up the 70 in the afternoon, so I walked down to the local grocery store, picked up some beer, and hung out in the cockpit in just a pair of shorts most of the afternoon relaxing, catching up on my log, and straightening up the boat.

Judah drove over from Warner Robbins to visit and arrived just before dark. We took Zoe and went out to dinner -- Charleston is a pretty dog friendly place -- but made it an early night since both of us were pretty tired, me from sailing and him from driving.

He had to go back the next afternoon, so we got an early start and took Zoe and explored the city in the morning. It's really a very beautiful city. We walked around most of the morning, then had lunch and drove over to see the Citadel and a few other sites. He dropped me off at the marina at 1600 and headed back -- he had to supervise some work on the base today and couldn't stick around too long. Judah and I were in TOW Company, 2nd Tank Battalion at Camp Lejeune back in the early 80's.

This marina isn't well protected, so we're bouncing around a bit, but with gusts forecast to 30 knots today and tonight, I think we'll stay here one more day before heading out. At least that's the plan. I'll reevaluate after lunch.

There were a lot of horse drawn carriages in the old city, so Zoe had a great time yesterday. I'm still not sure what it is about horses, but she just can't seem to resist them. She pulls and whines and makes all sorts of noise as though she's in pain. We took a long walk again this morning, so she's pretty well worn out and sleeping next to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers