14 December 2010

AIS

I just finished hooking up my new AIS unit. I still have to hook up my new radio and mount everything, but for the time being, I'm using a couple unused fuses on the instruments panel in the cabin (they were for stuff that's either broken or been removed).

Right now, it's all just sitting on the counter and seems to be working correctly. However, I haven't seen it show up on the marinetraffic.com site yet, but I might just be out of range here in the harbor.

We're in the middle of a nice little storm right now. It's blowing around 20 and gusting up to 30 and blowing us up against the dock. Every time it gusts, we heel over a few degrees, and don't think Zoe hasn't noticed -- she hates that. It's also really noisy which she doesn't like much either. Although it hasn't really gotten any better, she seems to have gotten used to it.

She had gotten down and was hanging around at my feet, but with the sole so cold, I guess she picked the lesser of two evils and got back in her bunk. It's well below freezing outside and will drop down below 20 tonight. I've been trying to wait until the wind dies down a bit before we go for our walk, but it doesn't look like it's going to get much better any time soon.

I think I'll go down and tighten up the dock lines first so she'll stop jumping around so much. I don't want either of us going it when I carry her off the boat onto the dock. The engine compartment seems to have stayed above freezing today, but I'm going to go ahead and start the engine when we get back and let her run for a while.

The worst part is that the wind blew all the snow off the decks, so I've lost my blanket. Hopefully we'll be able to keep her warm enough tonight. At least I seem to have gotten my sea legs, she's bobbing like a cork and making hard to type.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers