19 December 2010

Aurora Slips

They almost dropped the boat when they where lifting her out of the water yesterday. I have a modified full keel with a swept forefoot. That means that the full keel only starts at about midships, which is the fulcrum, and has a gradual "s" shape continuing forward up to the bow.

When they put her in the slings, the aft one was just forward of the rudder, which was fine, but the foreward one was too far forward. They tied them together with a rope on one side to keep them from slipping, but they guy who tied it didn't know what he was doing. I don't know what kind of knot he was trying to tie, but it slipped and forward sling slipped all the way to bow and caught on the bow roller and stemhead fitting.

I think all of us lost a couple years off our lives right then and there, but it didn't seem to have caused any damage. I still need to inspect everything, but will need to unfurl the genoa to look at the furler on the forestay. The forestay had been removed so she would fit in the travel lift, but it was attached to one of the forward stanchions and had to bend a good deal. Hopefully it's okay.

They lowered her and tied both sides better the second time, but after looking at the knots they guy used, I added another safety line on the starboard side. I couldn't get it as tight as the one that's already there, but at least my knots won't slip -- I used a truckers slip knot and several half hitches to secure it.

So, no harm, no foul, but it could have been worse. Someone could have been hurt or it could have snapped my mast. I guess I need to be the master rigger from now on. I've seen it done correctly a few times, particularly at Coneys and Bardens, but wasn't too impressed by these guys. Ultimately, I'm responsible for my own boat, so I'll be more hands on from now on.

I'm going to see if they can get me on jack stands today, but may have to wait until tomorrow. I'm sitting in the slings on a block right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers