11 December 2010

The Second Time is Always Better

The second time up the mast went much better than the first, but I was still shaking like a leaf on the way down, and not because of the cold either -- well, maybe a little. I used the smaller spinnaker halyard to hoist my climbing rope since I'd already used the jib halyard to bend on the genoa. My only other options were the topping lift and the main halyard, but the topping lift is in use (though I could still use it, however it uses the smallest block at the masthead) and the main halyard down haul is the one that rubs.

The next time I go up, I'll use the main halyard and go all the way up. I need to reroute the spinnaker halyard -- it's reeved backwards, with the down haul outboard instead of inboard, so it'll chafe badly if ever used. I also want to add chafing gear to the spreader mounting points and reinforce the lashing on the chafing gear I added today. I split a piece of fire hose and put half on each side of the bracket, letting the excess lap the mast and cover the screw heads.

If I weren't so worn out, I'd do it today, but I'm afraid I'd get myself in a bind and not have the strength to extricate myself. There are other things I could do this afternoon, but I think I need a break after the mast. There's no wind at all, so sailing around the harbor isn't an option.

I think we'll take the afternoon off, go for a walk, and stop by the bar for a beer. That ought to put me in a good mood to tackle the mess in the forecastle and finish stowing tools and gear this evening. I might even look into what it will take to install the solar panel this week, but no matter what, the radios come first (that's tomorrow's top priority).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers