14 December 2010

Snow Blanket

It started snowing last night around 2200, and it looks like we got 1-2 inches, which is a good thing. It's currently 20 degrees outside, but with the snow blanket covering my decks, we're a toasty 50 in the cabin.

I spread my boat covers over the cockpit area to insulate it, and after it started snowing, decided not to worry about starting the engine last night. The fresh water was still flowing this morning, so nothing, other than the inside surfaces of the forward portholes, froze -- they have a thin coat of ice.

It was under 40 in the cabin when I got back on the boat last night after our walk, but slowly warmed up. Zoe's still wearing her fleece, so she didn't feel the need to crawl in my bag, but I did drape the fleece throw over her a few times last night just in case.

Once I've finished my coffee, we'll try to go ashore for our morning walk. I've got my full foul weather gear on, partly so see how warm it'll keep me. It'll be about this cold for the first few nights during my trip. I'll take my phone and see if I can get a good photo of the boat covered in snow.

I have a couple things I'd still like to do on deck before I leave, but I don't see that happening until it warms up. That probably means I'll use Thursday to finish up, which may or may not delay me another day. In any case, the weekend and early next week look good for sailing. It'll still be unseasonably cold, but at least the wind will have died down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers