27 December 2010

Lots of Wind

It seems like we've had an awful lot of wind for about a month now. It's been blowing over 30 most of the day and gusting to well over 40. But other than the wind, it's a beautiful day. I was on deck a little while ago connecting up my antenna and almost got blown off by a sudden gust. Normally, that's not a big deal, but my decks are covered with ice and I don't have any to grab hold of other than my icy handrails.

We took a walk in the snow this morning, and Zoe loved it. I'm about to take her our again while the sun's still up. I'll just have to be careful neither of us gets blown off. The snow should cushion the fall a little, but it gets thin around the boats due to the high winds. It finally warmed up to a balmy 28 with a windchill of 12, so we better hurry and enjoy it while it lasts.

I sure wish I could have gotten out of here much earlier, but with similar conditions all the way down the coast, I'm happy to sit here now and wait till spring.

Boat watch:

The only boat work I'm even contemplating right now concerns organizing the cabin and hooking up my SSB. The saloon is livable now, and the SSB is ready to actually hook up and turn on, so I'll connect the GTO15 to my antenna wire and fire her up after our walk. I'll probably take a bunch of spare wire and experiment with counterpoise, but don't plan to get fancy. I mainly just want to see if I can tune HF frequencies, connect my laptop, and see if I can setup my winlink email account. I'll update as soon as I get her to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers