21 July 2011

Fuel Leak Fixed

I installed the new fuel line yesterday and fixed the fuel leak. Then I ran the engine for the first time in a week and recharged the battery. I'd been using the solar panel to keep it charged, but it's nice to have the option of using the engine.

List watch:

I was busy yesterday taking care if a bunch of obvious tasks, so I haven't had time to work on the list very much. I've got several more things I need to take care of this morning, but hope to start working on it again this afternoon.

Solar panel watch:

I temporarily hooked it up to keep the batteries charged while I waited on the new fuel line, but need to install it permanently before I try to go anywhere. Right now it's just sitting loose in the cockpit.

It's roughly 22" x 48", so it takes up a fair amount of space on a small boat. That makes it too big to mount on the stern pulpit, and since I don't have a dodger, that's not an option either -- I doubt that would have worked out that well anyway.

That leaves the deck, and the only viable space is on top of the main coach roof about 3' forward of the companionway and 4' aft of the mast. Unfortunately, it looks like I'll need to move the deck organizer, however, I might be able to get away with a semi permanent installation without moving it. That's the top priority for this morning.

Zoe watch:

Although she's been going on the deck regularly for a few days now, she still refuses to go on her own. I have to put on her leash, walk her up to the foredeck, and coax her to go. I need to use the leash, because as she gets excited, she wants to jump off the boat.

I can't use her life jacket right now, because she knows that means going in the water and she refuses to go on deck. I'm sure she'll eventually get it, but I'll hang out here as long as it takes.

Sorta reminds me of Marine training -- you keep practicing something until it becomes second nature. That way, you can do it without thinking, even if someone's shooting at you. In our case, I'm more concerned with bad weather and heavy seas than anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers