13 July 2011

Fuel Leak

Last night after I got anchored and shut down the engine, I noticed a diesel smell in the cabin. I checked the bilge and thought it might have had a bit of a sheen, but wasn't sure. I'd accumulated a few inches of water on the trip, so I pumped it, but didn't see any sheen on the water, so I figured it was okay. The smell also went away after a while.

I took care of a bunch of stuff today, including recaulking the chainplates and reorganizing some of my gear. I also checked out all my new plumbing and tightened a few hose clamps to stop some leaks.

In the late afternoon, I started messing around with my radios, but didn't transmit because one of my batteries won't hold a charge and I wanted to make sure the other would still start the engine. Even though it was still at around 90%, but I figured I'd go ahead and start the engine, recharge her and see if I could find the fuel leak.

She started right up, so I checked to see if she was charging, and everything looked fine, but I did smell diesel, so I pulled the cover and saw a steady stream dripping off the hose connecting the fuel pump to the fuel filter. I shut her down right away and spent the next couple of hours cleaning up the mess.

I pumped over a quart of fuel out of the oil trap -- it looked good, so added it back to the tank, and cleaned up the mess along the side of the engine. I tightened up the connectors, then, with the stop pulled out, I cranked the engine for a few seconds to see if that fixed it.

It didn't, so I cleaned it up again, and this time used the manual pump lever on the side of the pump and saw the wire shielded hose get wet as I pumped. Since the connector was nice and tight, I figure the hose had gone bad. I think it had already been replaced before since all the other fuel lines are metal tubes.

The sun's going down, and without an engine to recharge the batteries, I don't want to waste any power, so I'll wait till tomorrow to take it apart. Hopefully, it's just the hose and I can find one locally without too much trouble.

I think there's some fuel in the bilge too, so I threw on of those absorbent pads down there and will take a look at it in the morning. I read in the manual that the pump is only necessary if the fuel tank is below the injectors (or something like that -- too dark to look it up right now). Anyway, I might try bypassing the pump tomorrow -- I've got nothing to loose.

Zoe watch:

She still hasn't learned to go on the boat, but it's only been a little over 24 hours. Hopefully she'll go tomorrow, but it could take longer. I want to hold out till she dies, otherwise we'll have to start the whole process over. It can't be pleasant for, and I'd gate to put her through it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers