11 July 2011

Mañana

I went down to Acapulco a few years ago to help sail friend's catamaran up to San Diego. I ended up hanging out for about a week waiting for them to fix the engines, but needed to get back and go to work, so I ended up not making the sail.

While I was there, I met another America who was also waiting on parts. I'm not sure how long he'd been waiting, or if he ever left, but he did teach me the meaning of "mañana." It seems that every time he went in the office to ask if his parts had arrived and when his boat would be ready, they replied mañana. After a while, he realized that mañana didn't actually mean tomorrow, just not today.

I told the story to the guys here, and they liked it so much, they started using it with customers. Anyway, the owner just walked by and told me I'll go in mañana. In this case it really does mean tomorrow. I could have gone in today, but with such a late start, I wasn't sure I'd be able to make Oyster Bay before dark. I still need to do a few things with the sails once she goes in as well as check out the engine -- sure hope everything works.

It also gives me another chance to do my laundry. I'd planned to do it yesterday, but the painting took so long I never made it. I guess I could have, but since I did all the prep and painting out in the hot sun, I didn't have much left in the tank by the time I finished. I just did the 6" edge below the toe rails and leading edge of the bow where I'd fixed a few dings and left it primed. It doesn't look great, but it's only temporary and does look much better than before. She's looking less and less like a derelict all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers