20 July 2011

Time for Another List

I took the dinghy in yesterday and picked up the new fuel hose. I'll install it and a new water tank vent this morning, then sat down and make out a list of what else needs to be done before I can head south.

I made a list a few months ago with all the tasks I needed to finish before I could go in the water. That list had over 50 items. I ended up trimming it down to around 40 that were absolutely necessary and completed all of them by the end of June. The delay allowed me to complete most of the remaining 10 before she went in a couple weeks later.

I don't think the new list will be anywhere near that long, but it is a boat, so who knows. There's always something to do.

Dinghy watch:

As I mentioned, I took the dinghy in yesterday to pick up the new fuel hose. It wasn't very far and shouldn't have taken long, but I had a lot of trouble with my outboard. It was low on fuel, so I used the small gas can I keep in the cockpit to fill it up. Unfortunately, I didn't check the gas first and ended up adding a little water along with the gas. I need a way to deal with that since these cans must stay outside, so there'll always be some water.

I ended up draining the carburetor a few times and got her started, but she still didn't run well. In fact she died three times on the trip over, but I think the last time was because I finally ran out of gas. By then, I was only about a hundred yards from the dock, so I pulled up the motor and rowed in. I'd prefer to row anyway, but soft bottom inflatables don't row well.

I brought the empty tank with me and filled it up on the fuel dock. Once I filled the outboard back up with new gas, she worked great. I guess the only real damage is the couple of blisters I got pulling the starter cord about a thousand times.

Zoe watch:

Due to the heat and outboard problems, I left Zoe on the boat yesterday. She hasn't been off the boat since we left City Island last week. I may take her ashore soon, but needed her to stay on board long enough to get comfortable going on deck. She's doing really well, so I don't think a walk on land will set her back. We could both use a nice walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers