08 July 2011

Stepped the Mast

We stepped the mast this morning, and I got the sails bent on this afternoon. I need to go up the mast to rotate the cap at the top of the furler, but other than that, it all looks good.

It started raining a little while ago, and I noticed one of the chainplates leak a little. Normally, I would have waited to caulk them until after stepping the mast, but since I'm out in the weather, I gave it my best shot when I installed them.

The surprising thing is that the forward starboard lower, where the old one tore a hole in the deck, doesn't leak. After fixing the hole and setting the new chainplate, I noticed it touched on one corner, but it was about to rain, so I didn't have time to fix it. I'll need to redo it at some point since you need an 1/8" clearance all the way around the hold the caulk or it will eventually leak. I should be able to use a keyhole saw widen the hole pretty quickly once I get a chance.

We're planning to splash on Monday morning, and anchor in Oyster Bay Monday night. I'm sorta hoping I can get someone to go with me, but chances are I'll have do it by myself. It shouldn't take more than about 6 hours to over there and get anchored, but since I've never been there, I want to make sure I can get there with plenty of daylight remaining, so I'd need to leave here no later than early afternoon. We'll see how it goes and adjust as necessary.

Of course, it all depends on the weather -- assuming she still floats.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers