15 July 2011

Zoe Becomes a Real Boat Dog

She held out for three days (really proud of her for that) but finally gave in this morning a christened the foredeck.

I could tell she was really uncomfortable, so I took her forward several times yesterday and again this morning. I tried to make it seem like a regular walk, starting in the cabin and getting her excited with "let's go outside." Then putting on her leach and taking her forward. I always use "hurry up" to associate that phrase with the action so when the time came, she'd know what I meant.

But it still took a while. She's been living on the boat now for over a year and considers the whole thing her home, so convincing her the foredeck is "outside" wasn't easy. She's much happier now, but we'll need to complete the reeducation process later today -- she's only halfway there at this point.

Fuel Leak watch:

I removed the leaking fuel line and found a nice leak in it. I think it's been slowly leaking for a while, but finally gave way over the hard winter. I ordered one yesterday, but it won't be here till at least Monday or Tuesday. That means I can't really go anywhere right now -- the channel is a bit too long and narrow to try to sail through -- but I've got plenty to keep me busy, so I don't mind waiting.

Power watch:

Since I can't use the engine to recharge my batteries, and with one battery unable to hold a charge, I've had to be very careful with my power consumption. Luckily, I filled up a 5 gallon water jug right before I left just in case, because I still haven't had time to install the manual foot pump.

I'll try to install it and the solar panel today, but surprisingly still have about a half gallon left in the jug. Except for running the anchor light at night and recharging my phone, I've pretty much left the battery switch turned off the entire time I've been here (well, at least since I discovered the leak that disabled the engine).

The good battery's still at around 90%, so that's a good sign. I've decided to keep it as my starting battery and get two new house batteries. I'll talk to the guy about it when I pick up the new hose. However, I may try to get a ride down to some place like Auto Zone if I can get them cheaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers