26 July 2011

Rigging

I got the solar panel mounted, but still need to tape the sharp edges -- reducing potential chafe -- and run the wire through the deck. Having a boat is all about compromise, so I'll have to decide on the least bad solution at some point. I also have to mount the voltage regulator, but since that's below deck, it'll have to wait until I get a chance to work on the electrical system. However, it's all hooked up and out of the way for now, so it's time to deal with the rigging.

The standing rigging, the stuff that doesn't move is referred to as standing, while the stuff that moves, e.g., halyards, is referred to as running, is in pretty good shape for now, but I do plan to re-tension the forestay at some point, and rotate the mast about a quarter inch. It's not quite right.

However, the running rigging, including the main halyard, reefing lines, and deck organizer, needs a bit of attention. I also need to add a fairlead to the base of the mast to attach the boom vang and gooseneck downhaul, and at some point I'll need to replace my boom vang -- the shackle's broken and wired on.

I should be able to add an additional eye pad between the mast and the dorade box on the starboard side for a block to reroute the main halyard, then all I need to do is move the deck organized, which had to be moved anyway due to solar panel interference, and mount the fairlead. The only problem I foresee is that I might need to tap the mast in order to mount the fairlead. There's an existing mount point, but I'm not sure it will work out.

Rotating the base of the mast and adjusting the forestay are more involved, so I'll probably wait until I can get some help. Baring that, I'll do them myself before I head south.

Zoe watch:

We went for another swim, and although she still tries to swim ashore the whole time, I think she really enjoyed it. Now that I have the dinghy along side, getting on and off is no problem at all, but I still need to get a better ladder -- the dinghy won't always be there.

She's also doing much better on deck, but still has a habit of getting under foot.

Reading watch:

I finished Voss's book yesterday, which I really enjoyed -- look him up online if you're interested -- and started Fielding's Tom Jones. It's also very good, but much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers