18 November 2011

Belts

After struggling to keep my alternator belt tight and chewing up a few belts, I decided to tackle the problem while waiting for the next weather window. I was able to get Yanmar belts from the marina, but they weren't even close to the length of the current belts. I've mentioned before that the tensioning bracket for the alternator looked like a homemade kludge, so that probably explains the difference.

Armed with the correct length and photos of the engine in my service manuals, I realized that the previous owner moved the attachment point for the tensioning bracket lower on the engine and used the homemade extension to lengthen it and push the alternator out further. This requiring a longer belt.

I'm not sure which came first, but it could be due to replacing the original alternator. After moving the attachment point back to where it should be, I had to file one edge of the bracket arm so she would slide freely along the alternator and allow me to tension the belt.

She looks pretty good now, but I still think she's slightly out of alignment. I might be able to adjust or perhaps flip the pulley on the alternator to make it line up better, but I'll let her run for a while before messing with it again.

Norfolk watch:

My radio is waiting for me in Virginia Beach, so I'm anxious to get down to Norfolk -- a two day trip. I'm thinking about leaving tomorrow morning, but that would mean more motor sailing. However, the winds should be better on Saturday, as well as the temps -- it'll drop to near freezing again tonight. It won't cost me anything to stay another night, so I'm leaning that way, but won't decide till later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers