07 November 2011

Fogged in

We woke up from a bumpy night to calm seas and a bright blue sky, so we weighed anchor and got underway by 0645. I was able to do close to 5 knots, so it looked like we'd make Chesapeake City before dark.

However, after about an hour motor sailing -- still not much of any wind -- I noticed what looked like fog just to the north of my course about 5nm away. With the bright sunshine, I figured it would burn off by the time I got close. Unfortunately, it met me about halfway. I tried to slow down and wait for it, then killed the engine and hove to to hold position, but it quickly engulfed me, and I had to anchor. I'm only about 3.5 miles from where I started -- probably lost a couple miles while hove to.

That was a few hours ago, and I still can't see more than about 100 yards. It looks like CS is a no go for today (heard on the radio that the canal was closed due to the fog anyway), but I hope it'll burn off soon enough to allow me to make it a bit further up the bay to a better anchorage. I'm a little over a mile from shore right now in a shoal area, and have already been buzzed by one small fishing boat.

Zoe watch:

She doesn't like the engine much, but the repairs I've made have reduced the vibration and noise a bit. She and I are relaxing on deck, enjoying warmer weather -- well, she's relaxing, I'm keeping a sharp lookout for fishing boats.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers