05 November 2011

Leaving Cape May

If all goes well, we'll leave Cape May early in the morning. The part and the tool finally arrived on Friday. It didn't take long to put it back on, but I'm not totally satisfied with it.

However, the tool allowed me to torque it on tight, and I hope the locktight will hold it. The staking will help too, but I don't think I did a very good job -- too hard to get to.

The weather is looking better and better, so I'm probably going to go outside down to Norfolk. It's not really any further than the leg from Sandy Hook to here, but I do have to go an additional 30 nm into Chesapeake bay to get to an anchorage, so it'll end up being longer overall.

I just checked the weather again, and it still looks good, so I'll make one final check in the morning before committing. I can still do the Chesapeake, but it's so much colder -- don't have heat on the boat -- that I'd really prefer going straight to Norfolk.

Plan to use the wind vane this time, so I may be able to post during the trip. I think the outboard hanging on the stern pulpit disturbed the airflow to the wind vane on the port tack, so I'm going to stow it in cockpit locker for this trip. That should make the trip much more relaxing and enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers