17 November 2011

Solomons

It cleared up nicely on Tuesday, so we took advantage of it and motor sailed down to Solomons, Maryland. The forecast for Tuesday had looked good, then became marginal, so I'd planned to wait a few more days, but when I checked again in the morning, it looked really good for the afternoon. So good in fact, I couldn't resist.

It was a great trip down, and I was tempted to go further, but once the sun went down, it got really dark, so I decided to make for Solomons. It was overcast, and although the moon would rise well before our next anchorage, I was having difficulty dodging crab pots in the dark -- their floats are painted black -- and didn't want to tempt fate.

We anchored the first night in St John's Creek, but it was so tight, it made me nervous. The winds were forecast to gust up to 25-30 over the next couple days, and temps should dip to freezing tonight and tomorrow night, so after we got fuel, I decided a few nights in a marina wouldn't be a bad idea. We're in Spring Cove Marina, right next to shore.

I'm going to try to pick up spare belts, filters, and additional provisions while we're here. I'm also going to check the coupling again, but it's already lasted longer than the last time, so I think it's fixed.

Zoe watch:

We took a long walk down to the local West Marine last night, and she got to socialize and get treats, so she's pretty happy right now. We've got a little rain, but we'll try to take another long walk this morning. I also need to hook up shore power and turn on the heater this morning. The low last night was 46 and the high today is only 47 with the low tonight of 33, so it's about that time. We're both ready to get down south.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers