06 November 2011

Getting Underway Again

The special tool I needed to torque on the locking nut finally arrived Friday. I put it on the same day and aligned the engine yesterday. While I was waiting for the tool, I filled and re-drilled several of the lag bolt holes for the engine mounts -- they were loose. I also glassed in one of the supports that had come loose, then bedded the aft mounts in epoxy.

It was hard to get to, so it isn't real pretty, but it's nice and solid now, and that's what counts. I plan to pull the engine in Houston and beef up everything, so I'm not too worried about looks now.

Trip watch:

It's about 0400, and I've been up for a while getting ready for the next leg. With the weather improving steadily, I've decided to go outside down to Norfolk. I'd planned to go inside down the Chesapeake, but with the delay, I'd have to either go in the middle of the night or fight the current -- up to almost 3 knots in places.

I'd also have to put up with much colder weather for several days -- the low tonight in Norfolk will be 47, but it'll only be 33 in Chesapeake City. That's a big difference on a boat with no heat. The engine will heat the cabin a little, but I can't run it all the time.

I'm having coffee and oatmeal right now, and hope to leave shortly after 0530. With any luck, I'll be at anchor in Norfolk Monday night. I just hope I have enough wind. If not, I'll have to do some motoring. Depending on how things go, I might stop for the night in Ocean City, but I'd still have to do an overnighter down to Norfolk, so we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers